amazingly simple lemon cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon (preferably organic)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- For Cupcakes: Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin/cupcake tin with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth and satiny, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain.
- Divide batter evenly among cups of prepared tin using 2-ounce ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Use skewer or paring knife to lift cupcakes from tin and transfer to wire rack; cool cupcakes to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
- For Frosting: Whip cream cheese in stand mixer or with hand held mixer until light and fluffy. Melt white chocolate in microwave set to high in 10-second bursts, checking after each pass to make sure it isn’t scorching. Pour melted white chocolate into whipped cream cheese and beat until well combined.
- Spread 2 to 3 generous tablespoons frosting on top of each cooled cupcake; serve.