Got leftover eggnog from a Christmas party? Use it for these cupcakes!
- 1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 8 TB unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup (7 oz) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) powdered sugar
- 5 tsp eggnog
- 1 tsp rum or brandy (optional, use an extra tsp of eggnog if omitting)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-count cupcake tin with paper or foil liners.
- Beat ingredients for glaze until smooth; set aside.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk to aerate and combine.
- Cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. The color should get significantly paler. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla for one minute, pausing and scraping down the bowl if necessary.
- Mix in a third of the dry ingredients on low speed until just combined.
- Mix in half of the eggnog on low speed until just combined.
- Mix in another third of the dry ingredients…
- Mix in the final half of the eggnog.
- Mix in the final third of the dry ingredients, taking care not to overbeat but making sure that there are no patched of flour suspended in the batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the prepared cupcake cups (I find a 1/4 cup disher to be about perfect).
- Bake until cupcakes are pale golden on top and fully cooked when tested with a toothpick or paring knife, about 20-24 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for 45 minutes before drizzling with the glaze.