I can’t say enough what a difference it makes to grind your own meat when making hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs, chili, or anything else that requires ground meat. I use the KitchenAid Grinder Attachment since I already own a KitchenAid Stand Mixer and it does a great job. It’s also easy to clean since it is removable and comes apart easily (and is dishwasher safe).
A few tips to get the most out of this attachment:
- Trim gristle and large chunks of solid fat from the meat.
- Cut meat into 1″ cubes and place in freezer for 15 minutes before grinding.
- Chill the attachment in the freezer as well.
- Check the grinder blade for gristle after each pound of meat you grind.
- Test out the different size grinder plates to get different textures in hamburgers, etc.